Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Leo Cardenas: Dual Heritage Autographs

Topps Heritage is a great product because they give the collector yet another reason to break out the vintage cardboard. It's too easy to get caught up connecting the dots and comparing the Heritage with its native brethren. In an earlier article we had done just that. In The real "Then and Now" of Topps Heritage, two cards were the point of discussion. A 1963 Topps #203 Leo Cardenas of the Cincinnati Reds and 2012 Topps Heritage #203 Scott Rolen of the Cincinnati Reds. The article had covered the career stats of each player and the over all perception of the cards. I later commented that I wanted to send Chico both cards for autographs and insisted that he could keep the Rolen for whatever reason. I had known Chico lived in Cincinnati still. If you know anything about this guys personal life I didn't think he had gotten too far from Cincinnati; or if his parole allows him to. I know Chico is the kind of guy that does what he wants, when he wants. I know he doesn't care much for saving his money, or preparing for the future. Chico has always been a now or never player and had a sucker punch attitude. The most recent rumors was the he was living in Cincinnati with his son from one of this two earlier marriages. I don't want to sound as if I'm judging Chico because I'm not. I don't think he would have been the ball player he was if it wasn't for his thick headed ways and outlook on life. I'm pretty sure he has some charges against for attacking two guys with baseball bats on two separate occasions, and another one involving an icepick. Chico, I like your style sir.

Here is my 1963 Topps Chico Cardenas #203 card I had been waiting for:



The unexpected surprise was that Leo had signed my 2012 Topps Heritage Scott Rolen as well. The real challenge now would be to get Scott Rolen to sign on the same card above Chico's autograph. I'll will definitely bring it to the Reds vs Futures game next week in case that opportunity arrives.




No comments:

Post a Comment