Saturday, March 10, 2012

First Four in Dayton, Ohio

Basketball lovers unite as the First Four is prepped to tipoff in Dayton, Ohio. As a Daytonian, I can assure you that the city is ready for the events. The Oregon District has never been so busy while UD (University of Dayton) Arena is crawling with the Secret Service in preperation for President Obama to watch the games. I live right up the hill from the University and walking distance to the historic Oregon District, both sites have been busy getting ready for the festivities.

For those of you who don't live in the city and say the country life is the life for me, hold on a second. I was born and raised on a farm outside of Cincinnati and as I grew up slowly migrated towards civilization. College and career paths led me north to Dayton. My wife, daughter, and I live on the east side of the city and in walking distance to downtown, the Dayton Dragons ballpark, bars, fine dining, arts, and theatre. It is a great place to live once you get inside. From the outside looking in Dayton can be, well, not so appealing. Dayton has suffered as much as any city when it comes to home forclosures, job loss, and most of all General Motors Chassis plant in Moraine closing it's doors. The people of Dayton are the most couragous and strong-willed individuals when faced with adversity. These folks know how to work hard and play hard. With that being said about this fine town, let us get back to basketball.

The historic Oregon District and infamous party/bar spot is ready with tents, music, and festivities. A local tea shop is hoping the British Prime Minister will stop in for the afternoon if he has time. My next door neighbor and manager of the world famous Dublin Pub is amping up for what will hope to be a huge night. Last year the First Four events banked over 4 million for Dayton, and that was when times were even tougher. "We love basketball. We love having a big party. And we love letting the country see how great Dayton is," said Nan Whaley, Dayton City Commissioner. Check out our local newspaper for more information regarding the events at Dayton Daily News - First Four.

Though I am not the biggest NCAA fan, I am an all ecompassing sports router and will surely stop by all the festivities and maybe try to catch a glimps of our nation's President come Tuesday. I will just stand up from our back deck and walk down the alley, down Wayne Street and check out what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for taking the time to check out Dayton and what is in store for the First Four as March Madness erupts in our city.

1 comment:

  1. The President of the United States is about 10 blocks from my front porch right now...We hung out in the backyard today, my daughter and I, keeping an eye out for AirForce One flying over enroute to WPAFB! Must have missed it

    ReplyDelete