Friday, March 23, 2012

Big Puma: You're Our Hero

When it comes to Missouri, there are few things I like and even fewer fond memories I have. After spending a short stint at Ft. Leonard Wood for U.S. Army basic combat training and advanced individual training, I have found few things to like from that state. As a born and raised Cincinnati native and Reds rooter, I have even more animosity for that state, the city of St. Louis, and the reining 2011 World Series Champions. All in good sportsmanship though, I truly like the Cardinals and there depth of skill. Lance Berkman has always been a secret favorite player of mine. From playing in Houston to being a Yank, I had always felt Lance fit great in St. Louis. In addition, his latest exchange of words with “he who shall not be named” in regards to the Astros’ move to the American League has only made me like the star first baseman/outfielder even more. Basically, whenever or whoever gets Bud Selig angry, makes me happy. During an interview with ESPN and CBS Sports reporters, Berkman said of the Astros move, “I hate it. I feel like, basically, the commissioner extorted Jim Crane into moving the Astros.” The Cardinals suggested Lance give the ol’ commissioner a call to apologize after several sources commented that Bud was upset and bothered by the statement. Talking about it now, Berkman said he had a good conversation with Mr. Selig over the phone and was later quoted saying “I basically apologized for using the word extortion.” Which suggest felonious activities, however Berkman never really apologized for the accusations he made, rather just for a poor choice of words. On Thursday, Berkman said “I don’t believe I said anything I hadn’t said before, it’s not exactly new.” The Big Puma played a key role in the 2011 Cardinal’s success; Berkman had 147 hits, 23 doubles, 2 triples, 31 home runs, 94 RBIs, 2 stolen bases, and a batting average of .301 during the regular season, as well as an All-Star appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment